Thứ Hai, 27 tháng 10, 2014

The Sun Came Out On Sunday

After an early breakfast Sunday morning, I thought I’d take Rylie for our long walk down past the farms as the skies looked o.k. even though there were some dark clouds hovering overhead. That was a big mistake. About halfway through our 1 hour walk the skies opened up and we got soaked. Figuring it wasn’t going to rain I, of course, left my jacket with the hood at home so I had no protection from the rain at all. It was not a pleasant start to my day.

The Cowichan River is back running, fast, furious and fullIMG_3189

After I got back home, dried off and looked outside there wasn’t a cloud in the sky. For the rest of Sunday we enjoyed a beautiful fall day with nothing but sunshine.

The wetlands of the estuary are wet againIMG_3191

After lunch we drove down to the Cowichan Bay Estuary so that we could go for a long walk while staying in the sun the whole time. The recent rain we’ve had sure was evident the first time we saw the Cowichan River. It was flowing fast and furious and was easily as high as we’ve ever seen it for this time of year. That’s great news for the salmon who are now beginning to head up river to their spawning grounds That run should begin in earnest around the first week of November.

9,045, 9046, 9047, 9048……..IMG_3202

The wetlands in the estuary have benefitted greatly from the rain as well. The marshes are once again full of water and all the small ponds and streams are overflowing. It’s good to see our months’ long drought finally over.

IMG_3203

IMG_3212

IMG_3217

After we got back home from the estuary, I got a ladder out and climbed it to clean out the gutters – at lest the ones one story up!  Another thing all the rain has done has been to wash all the pine needles and leaves off the roof into the gutters and they were getting pretty plugged up. I managed to get the problem areas sorted out. We usually get pros to come in November to clean out the gutters on the higher levels as I no longer think it’s a good idea for me to be crawling around up there.

9,997, 9998, 9999, 10,000……….Yeah!!!IMG_3218

After that job was done I got around to another one I’ve been putting off for a while. That was cleaning and packing up our Weber Q.  I don’t think I’ll need it again this year so after I got it all spiffy looking I packed it away in the front basement of our 5’er and with that the first task for our trip south is now accomplished.

A perfect end of October kind of day on Vancouver IslandIMG_3221IMG_3222

Last night we spent a quiet evening just watching a few of our favourite TV shows while at the same time I was following an NFL game, the World Series and a few blogs on my iPad.

Thanks for visiting!

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét