Thứ Ba, 14 tháng 10, 2014

Adding Instagram To My List Of Useful Apps Plus Bananas

The list of available social media sites I use is quite a short one. I seldom ever use the biggest one of all, Facebook, where my profile is private with only 2 friends (sob, sob). But, I do use Blogger, G+ and Twitter on a daily basis. Lately, I’ve been playing around and having fun with Instagram and have now added it to my short list of useful social media sites. Instagram is a fun and easy way for me to privately share photos and videos taken with my iPhone or camera with our family.

instagram 1

My initial interest in Instagram was was because of its simple way to instantly share our family photos privately. By default, anyone can view your profile and photos on instagram-logoInstagram. You can make your photos private so only approved followers can see them. That’s exactly what I’ve done and the only followers I have are Paulette, our 4 daughters and son Kevin.

I’ve been using Instagram for about 2 months now on an almost daily basis to not only share my photos but also to see the photos and videos posted by our children living across Canada. Not everyone is a blogger nor does everyone like having their pictures appear in a public blog.  Instagram has solved this problem and I’m more than happy when I see a new photo posted on Instagram by one of our kids. It has made life much easier for this snap-happy photographer.

From a valuation of $0 to $1 Billion in only 2 years!instagram 3

Contrary to popular belief, Instagram did not invent the “selfie” but it certainly did make “selfies” famous and in the case of a lot of dumb celebrities infamous. Like anything else we post on Internet sites and that includes our blogs, it’s still best not to post anything that you wouldn’t be comfortable seeing on the front page of your local newspaper. For most of us that would mean no indiscreet photos but I guess celebrities didn’t get the message or they just crave publicity more.

Instagram's founders from left, Mike Krieger and Kevin Systrominstagram 2Portrait by Cody Pickens

Instagram launched as an iPhone app on October 6, 2010. By that December it already had one million registered users. After launching Instagram for Android in early April, 2012, racking up more than 1 million users in 24 hours and heading for 50 million in a heartbeat, Mark Zuckerberg of Facebook fame felt like he had to move and fast. He pulled out his wallet and doled out $1 billion for Instagram even though the company had no revenues. The value was simply set by Krieger and Systrom!

bananas

In a comment left on my blog yesterday, Judy (aka The Bird Lady of Blogland) asked:

“What the heck is that banana thing on the side bar?  Are you advertising now on your blog?”

I replied to Judy telling her that “yes, I have Google Adsense ads on my blog and they’ve been there ever since I began blogging over 5 years ago.” She later responded saying that she’d never noticed them before. So much for my making millions, right?

No, I don’t cart off a fortune to the bank each month from Google Adsensegoogle-adsense-money

I also explained to Judy that the ad for “bananas” was based on something that Maharishi Google determined was relevant to her based on her use of Google search or visits to other websites. I never saw the ad about bananas but I am now seeing a lot of ads for Microsoft's new Wireless Display Adapter which I wrote a blog about recently. Google’s algorithm determines which ads are displayed for your to see based on your personal web-surfing habits.

Gadgets-and-Gizmos

Even though I don’t make a fortune from the Google ads on my blog’s sidebar, I’m happy with the fact that the revenue it does generate while I do nothing is enough for me to pick up a few new gadgets and gizmos each year. This is my own little piggy bank that has enabled me to buy stuff like new iPads, iPhones, routers, cameras and lately a few of the new Nest products like smoke detectors and Dropcam. I’ve never had any particular issue with ads on blogs unless it’s way overdone.

Thanks for visiting!

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét