Thứ Năm, 4 tháng 9, 2014

Be On The Lookout For iTunes Phishing Email Scam

Phishing refers to an email that attempts to fraudulently acquire personal information from you, such as your Apple ID, password and/or credit card information. On the surface, the email may appear to be from a legitimate company or individual, but it's not. I know because I received an email that was purportedly from 2014 iTunes Apple and it looked “sort of legitimate” – but it wasn’t.

phishing

I suspected something “phishy” right away as I’d never received an email like this from Apple for movie rentals. The way they try and suck you in is to claim you have rented movies that you know you never have so naturally you may do what they ask in order to make sure you get a refund. I decided to check it out carefully and clicked on the alleged link to apple support. The next screen asked for my Apple ID password. Out of curiosity I entered in a ‘just made-up password’ and hit enter!

You can always check your legitimate purchases including apps on iTunesphishing1

Sure enough I was taken to a new screen so it didn’t care what password I entered proving once and for all it was a scam. On the new screen, they wanted my Credit Card Info, Social Insurance Number, Address and Bank Account. Not likely. I closed the email message and moved it to a secure folder. If you happen to get one of these I would suggest you immediately delete it without even opening it.

The best way to check on iTunes purchases is to go directly to iTunes then click on Store > View my Account and under Purchase History click “See All”. You will be able to check there and see what purchases you’ve been charged for. If you have any questions then you can deal directly with Apple. What made me mention this was an email I received from a reader last night who mentioned she had also been the recipient of a similar message. So…don’t give away your info for anyone!!

Deadwood_Rushmore 016[4][2][2]

It’s only 6pm here as I’m writing this short post as I’m off to Victoria in just a few minutes for the start of or Poker Group’s 46th consecutive season. We have still have 3 original members including me and 2 newcomers at 25 and 20 years. I probably won’t be home until after midnight but all the money I’m bound to win will make it very worthwhile!

Thanks for visiting!

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét