Thứ Bảy, 2 tháng 8, 2014

How To Safely & Correctly Change The Name Of Your Blog

Changing the name, or title, of your blog is simple to do if you do it correctly; or, it can be quite frightening and include Google warnings like “This blog has been deleted” if you happen to change the wrong setting. The trick is to know the difference between your “Blog Title” and your “Blog Address” and also the fact that they do not have to be the same.

The reason I’m bringing this up is because of an email I received a few days ago from a fellow blogger who asked if I could help another blogger who, while attempting to change the name of her blog, ended up getting the dreaded “This blog has been deleted” message from Google. The owner of the blog was understandably quite distraught and feared her blog was gone forever all because she had changed just one letter, that’s right just one letter, in the name of her blog – sort of!

blog 1

After contacting the blog owner and finding out what she had wanted to do and what changes she had actually made to the settings of her blog, it was a very simple and quick fix to put things back to normal and to correctly change the “Title” of her blog to what she wanted while restoring the important setting, her Blog’s URL, to its original name.

To demonstrate the do’s and don’ts of changing your blog’s Title, I’ll use my blog as an example.

blog 2

The image above shows my blog as it is currently configured. The first thing to note is that my Blog Title and by Blog Address (URL) are completely different.  This is pretty normal with most, but not all, blogs. The other thing to note is that the most important setting is the “Blog Address” not the Blog Title.

blog 3

In the image above, I’ve chosen to change the Title of my Blog from Rick’s Bit’s ‘n Bytes to Rick’s Computer Tips. I’ve left the Blog Address (URL) alone as this is the address that everyone in Blogland uses to get to my blog. If you have my blog on your sidebar then the Blog Address points to my blog no matter what I happen to change the Blog Title to.

For instance, if I had changed the Address to computertipsnpicspicsnews to coincide with the Title then whenever anyone clicked on a sidebar link to my blog they’d get the ‘This blog has been deleted” message which is not something anyone wants to see especially a blog owner. It’s true, that eventually folks might update their sidebar with my new URL, then again, they might not.

So, to keep this simple, the moral of the story is it’s o.k. to change the Title of your blog to whatever you want it to be, but NEVER change the BLOG ADDRESS. Like every rule, there are exceptions, and there are cases when someone might want to change the blog address as well as the title. They are very rare situations though so for most of us the safe way is to never change your Blog Address.

Thanks for visiting!

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét